So we still need to have a chat with our pediatrician about the fact that Kien only goes to sleep when drinking a bottle. sigh. ;) And actually, both yesterday and today, once I finally got him to fall asleep for a nap, I didn't dare take the bottle away and replace it with one filled with water and risk waking him up! So I was bad and left him sleeping with a bottle of formula. I figure...what are a couple more days of this after a year of a bad habit? ;) I need him to sleep!!!
But now he has another new one... He wants me to have my hand on his back in order for him to go to sleep. Last night, he drifted off, then woke up about 10 minutes later crying, after I had left the room. We tried the routine of me consoling him (leaving him in the crib), then leaving again.... This happened numerous times. And each time, he would only calm down after I put my hand on his back to rub or pat it. Finally, I just couldn't take letting him cry anymore! So I lay on the bed by the crib, with my arm through the slats with my hand on his back. If I moved my hand away, he cried. So I just lay there... and I fell sleep. ;) A few hours later, I awoke to find Steve in bed asleep and Kien sound asleep in his crib. Obviously, this pattern will eventually need to change. ha! But it's very sweet that he needs me in order to go to sleep. :) Again, he woke up with little cries a few times in the night, but I reached through again, and he was fine.
Kevin, on the other hand, finally slept in until 6am this morning!!! He has now almost fully adjusted to the time change.... just in time to fly back home and jump back 11 hours again!! ;)
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ha, Karin! According to legend, I too had this same sleep issue: as an infant, I would not go to sleep without my mother's hand on my back and I would cry if I woke up without her hand there. My mother found a little bean bag and would rub my back until I fell almost asleep and then she would pull the 'ol switcheroo... placing the bean bag in her hand's place. she says it worked like a charm. (I think I went through this phase around the time we moved to a new house. Hummm.... I feel warmly connected to little Kien, who is handling all of his new changes quite well.)
Good luck! ;)
Leanne
Post a Comment