Friday, June 20, 2008

Our First Day Home

We got to our house on Thursday around 3pm (I think?), and I put Kien to bed in his new crib at 3:30. He slept for 4 hours! He woke up briefly, I gave him a bottle, and he went back to bed again. The rest of us went to bed about an hour after Kien. Then we started waking up in shifts. I can't even remember what happened! But there was usually at least one adult and one child awake. ;) Actually, I think Kien was awake for 2-3 hours starting around midnight. And around the time we put him back to bed, Kevin woke up. We spent Friday taking turns taking naps. But here are some highlights from our first full day at home...

Before I put him in bed for the first time on Thursday afternoon, I did give him a quick bath. After 30 hours of travel, including soggy diapers and spit-up, he needed it! But he was not impressed. However, Mommy was VERY impressed with his inflatable ducky tub!!! It was sooooo easy to give him a bath in there, and I didn't have to worry about him flopping over!!!!! YAY!!! It was also sooo nice to know that our water is safe for drinking. :)

He only got a brief glimpse in the family room before going up for his bath. But he did give a sleepy-eyed amazed glance at the corner with his toys! :) Once in bed, I showed him his Gloworm to try to settle him down. It worked! It actually stopped him from crying. He didn't know what to make of this glowing creature that plays music.

Kien is fascinated by James!!! He's not intimidated at all by the fact that James weighs 10 lbs more than he does. ;) (Yes, unfortunately, it's true.) But James was a little apprehensive about this new baby in the house!


Kien was quite impressed with all his new toys!! (And Daddy was impressed that some of them were missing batteries. ha!)

It was fun to watch him play and explore his new toys. And it was nice that he could do it peacefully, while big brother slept. ;)

He was very busy and tried to go after James from time to time. James would always run off!

These toys were soooo much more interesting than the boring little ones we took to Vietnam!!!

When I first put him in the Exersaucer, his feet didn't touch the ground at all! So we had to put it down to the lowest height level. He wasn't too impressed though! We finally got him interested in the spinning toys.

And in the morning, we tried out the high chair!!!! :) WOO HOO!!! What a lovely invention!!!! ;) Today I was particularly in love with the high chair, baby monitor, nice crib, changing table, thick American baby wipes, and fun toys! Aaaaah. :) The luxuries of home!!!!!

Anyway, we used the high chair and fed him banana baby food! (Another luxury! Single food item baby food!!) And HE ATE IT!!!! He almost finished the whole container!!! And yes, we used a metal spoon. :) I had to teach him to open his mouth though. We did lots of demonstrating. Even Kevin helped. :) And by the end, Kien actually said "Aaaaah" a couple times!! Kien wore his new "I Love My Big Brother" bib. :)

Also, while Kien ate, he waved at me!!! Brandy said yesterday that Kien had waved at her in the airport. But we had yet to ever get him to wave! And sure enough! He can wave now!! :) He has also tried to clap his hands a couple times now.

In the middle of the night, Kevin commented, "It's hard to take care of one baby and one child. But I guess we'll get used to it." ha! Then in perfect Kevin fashion, he asked, "What's used to mean?" ha! (He has this new pattern of using a big word and then asking what it means after he has already used it correctly. ;) )

At another point, Kevin said, "I don't really know how to take care of my baby, because he's really hard to take care of."

Toys were soon spread everywhere! And we eventually took apart his baby play yard area and used it as a fence between the kitchen and family room, to keep Kien from exploring all over the kitchen (and falling and bonking his head).

Later, he sat in the high chair again for one of the cereal cookies we had bought in Hanoi. This time, it didn't matter so much that he makes a mess with these things!! :) And he ate it all!

When Steve put him down for his nap, he wrapped him up in the quilt made by Great Grandma Dorothy while they rocked in the chair. (Oh! Rocking chair! Another luxury we're so glad to have again!!) So when he put him in bed, he kept him wrapped in the quilt and took this picture. ;)

Then flowers arrived to congratulate Mommy and Daddy -- from Grampy!!! :) He also sent a dozen red roses to my mom. :) I think it's been established now that he's coming next weekend, and then they will both leave at the end of that weekend? I think??


He still zonks out with bottles when he's sleepy! Oh -- and we had a big "duh" moment today... He started getting fussier and gassy late last week.... and started crying in the night (which he didn't do the first 3 nights)... so WHY didn't we stop to realize that this coincided with when we changed his formula after the doctor in Vietnam told us to??? Ugh. (I even already knew that many of the other babies have been lactose intolerant -- and that supposedly this is common with Asian babies.) But in our defense, with all the changes for him and for us last week, it was almost impossible at the time to pinpoint what the crying was about. So today, we switched his formula to something that is supposed to help with these issues...

We also got his first pediatrician appointment set up for next Thursday (unfortunately, the pediatrician is on vacation, so we have to wait a whole week). It's going to be quite an appointment! And he has to start from scratch with immunizations. :( We also got his first professional portrait appointment set up for next week! :) That's important!!!! ;)

When Daddy got Kien dressed once this afternoon, he came down commenting that Kien has no clothes and we need to go shopping!! WHOA!! When your husband says something like this, ACT on it!!!!! ;) ha!!! (I already knew he needed more clothes, but it was sooo funny to hear Steve say it after inspecting the dresser and closet! ha!)

So the 5 zombies headed out to the mall tonight. We ate dinner in the food court, while Kien sat in the stroller and ate Puffs. He figured out the Snack Trap pretty easily and managed to eat a lot of them!! Kien was the only one wearing shorts, because he had no other options! ;)

We went to multiple stores and wore everyone out. Especially Kien! He fell asleep on me while I had him in the Kozy. He had started out in the stroller and was doing GREAT!! :) He even did great sitting there while we ate our dinner! But after we walked for a bit, Kevin started to ask why he couldn't ride in the stroller. WHOA! I think he was tired. ;) I had actually considered trying out our brand new double stroller!!! But I thought that Kevin needed the exercise of walking tonight. So eventually, we let Kevin ride, while Kien rode in the Kozy.

We put the sleeping Kien in the car seat, and he continued to sleep all the way home. (Yes, one of these days, we'll actually put him in the BOY car seat! He's still riding in the wrong one. ;) ) Then at home, I carried him in the carrier into the house. I have never done that before, because we didn't have an infant seat for Kevin! And Kien's actually little enough that we can!! It was nice, because it bought us a little time before having to get him into his crib. :)

No comments: